+254 20 364 0000
Anjarwalla & Khanna LLP (A&K)
Partner, Head of Tax, Anjarwalla & Khanna LLP (A&K), Nairobi, Kenya
- Daniel specialises in regional and international tax law and has extensive experience in tax disputes and tax transactional matters. He provides ongoing tax advice on matters affecting clients across various industries, including the financial sector, power, energy and infrastructure, oil & gas and FMCG, amongst others. He has advised on a variety of matters, from debt and equity transactions to mergers and acquisitions. Daniel chairs the Law Society's Tax Committee and is a regular speaker at local and international conferences. Daniel is ranked by Chambers Global under tax law and private wealth law.
Daniel has co-authored the Kenya Chapter for Chambers & Partners: Global Practice Guide (Corporate Tax) and Legal 500: Tax Country Comparative Guide.
- 2014 to date: Partner, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
- 2012 to 2014: Senior Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
- January 2012 to April 2012: Stephenson Harwood LLP, London and Pump Court Tax Chambers London (on secondment)
- 2009 to 2011: Senior Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
- 2007 to 2009: Tax Consultant, KPMG Channel Islands Limited, Guernsey office
- 2005 to 2007: Tax Consultant, PricewaterhouseCoopers Nairobi
- Other Professional Highlights
- July 2015 to date: Member of the Capital Markets Master Plan Implementation Committee Working Group 4 which has been charged with, among other things, the responsibility to craft a new regulatory and tax regime that broadens up accessibility to Kenyan equity markets internationally.
- August 2015: Invited by the Parliamentary Committee on Finance, Planning and Trade to make representations on suggested changes to the Kenyan taxation regime, in particular on the Tax Procedures Bill which subsequently entered into force in January 2016.
- September 2014: Working with the CMA in preparing a paper addressing the impact of capital gains tax on shares listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange and in preparing a lobby paper to seek exemption of these shares from CGT. Listed shares were eventually exempted from CGT by Finance Act 2015.
- January 2013: Invited as a member of the Capital Markets Authority (CMA) task force comprising of members of the CMA, Kenya Revenue Authority and the National Treasury to draft the tax legislation relating to the new Real Estate Investment Trust regime.
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Member of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya